Breaking News

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Of PCOS, pregnancy, cheating on my first trimester and trying to be fit

OF PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in my late teens. I thought that having irregular periods and inconsistent weight gains/loss were just attributed to my stress since I used to study and work the during my college years.


While not fatal, it is life-altering. The doctor made me take medicines that caused me to have mood swings and dizziness. I try not to take medicines and supplements as much as possible since I have a Duplicated collecting left kidney.  That being said, I had PCOS and was taking medicines whenever I feel like it so it wasn't much of a use. Two doctors have already recommended that I make a lifestyle change since my cholesterol were also off the charts. I wasn't so keen on the idea since I am prone to headaches every time I sweat and I HATE RUNNING. 



at 145 kgs.

Last Nov. 2015, I had a wake-up call courtesy of our company annual examination. I was at 66kg.-overweight by 12kg., my cholesterol was +50 over the normal count, I looked bloated in all my pictures and again, the doctor warned me that if I'm going to keep up with my sedentary lifestyle, I might be mandated to take OTC supplements on my early-30s,- exactly the same thing that happened to my dad and he died of a heart attack when he was still 59.

Dec.2015, when every one was readying up for the holidays, I decided to try boxing at Allsons' Inn. My cousin posted snaps of their boxing session there and I got interested since it's an aggressive sport and it makes you lose weight, fast. Nobody can help me, nobody can lose my weight for me and accepting that fact,I believe, is one step away from the solution. Again, I was worried that all those sweating will give me migraines but there's no way to lose weight but to exercise.



Dec. 2015, first week of boxing

I am very surprised that I loved it. It got so addicting to a point where I box for an hour straight for 5 times a week. I didn't do it because I want to lose weight asap but because it was aggressive, it lifts away my stress and it's basically a whole body work out. 

Here are some of my progress pictures as over the 7 months of continuous boxing, From last Dec. 2015 at 66kg., from July at 57kg.

Jan 2016


Feb 2016


Mar 2016

Apr 2016
May 2016

June 2016

July 2016

PREGNANCY

Since I officially started boxing last Jan. 2016, I was off Metformin and I've been menstruating monthly. I attributed it to a healthier lifestyle.  I was promoted last Apr. 2016 and with a new job comes a new set of responsibilities. I didn't mind that I missed my period for a month cause though I've been regular for a few months, the PCOS just won't go away. Last September while I was done with my unusual 6 rounds (I box up to 12 rounds), my coach asked me to take a pregnancy test since I looked bloated. I ALWAYS look bloated when I'm a few weeks late so for compliance's sake, I took THE test.. and I was so shocked.




 I've been hopeful during the first year of our marriage and we've decided to shrug off the pressure and just as when we made plans for the rest of the year til the first half, God laughed and showed us His plans. 



CHEATING ON MY FIRST TRIMESTER


The husband was away on a business trip when I tested positive, so I have to wait for 4 days (til he gets back) to break the news. During that time, I was unsure of what to do so I decided to take a break from exercising and slept as much as I can. As much as I'd love to post the video of Bryan seeing the PT for the first time, he begged me not to since he looks ugly when he cries (that's what he said). We scheduled for an OB appointment and found out that I was already 8 weeks pregnant. Basically, I did these things without knowing that I was already expecting.



went at Bohol when I was 3 weeks


Malapascua adventure at 4 weeks


Crossfit at 6 weeks


Rock trekking at 7 weeks

The OB has assured me that everything is fine, my baby is fine and that I just needed to take Folic acid. She asked me if I felt any pregnancy symptoms and I swear I have no food aversions, morning sickness and the like. Just that, I am feeling sleepier than usual. In fact, as I type this (12 weeks), I sleep thrice a day. 

Basically, my first eight weeks went by in a breeze and I am thankful for that. 


TRYING TO BE FIT

I've been getting a lot of negative backlash since I decided to continue my fitness journey even though I'm carrying. I don't blame people if their views are traditional but it doesn't make me less irritated. My doctor is highly familiar with the drills that I do and she has given me a go signal to do it. 

I would also like to highlight these important things:

1. I started exercising before this and if I stop now, I will go back to being sedentary which won't be good for me or my PCOS.  

2. My usual 12 rounds are now cut back to 4, with arm exercises and squats after.

3. I used to exercise 5-6 times a week, first every 6AM and then around 7PM, but when I knew I was pregnant, I cut it down to 3, once a day.

4. I won't do anything to endanger myself and the baby.

5. Exercise combats my pregnancy fatigue. The fatigue is real and though I am lucky to skip the experience of morning sickness and the like, the fatigue and hunger pangs really get to me.

I plan to continue my fitness journey for as long as I can and for as long as I am allowed. Rather than wait that something bad will happen to me and my baby just to re-affirm your no-basis belief that I should slack down and eat what ever I want, I will sincerely appreciate it that you wish for the best. 


at 12 weeks 



1 comment: